Friday, June 16, 2017

A Tribute to a Special (Needs) Father



Dear Daddy,
I know I wasn't what you were expecting and that life has really changed since I made my grand entrance. I know things haven't been easy. I also want you to know that I am so thankful you are my daddy. Here are just a few reasons why I'm so thankful for you today and every day.

Thank you for not giving up on me even when you are feeling hopeless. Thank you for not leaving me even in the darkest, scariest hours. Thank you for coming to the hospital every day during my first two months of life, after you'd worked a long day. Thank you for taking the time to learn how to take care of me and all of my extra needs. Thank you for holding my hand to comfort me when I cry. Thank you for not being afraid to hold me, even when I have been attached to various machines and equipment. Thank you for singing silly songs to me. Thank you for cradling and bouncing me when I am inconsolable. Thank you for getting up in the middle of the night to take care of me. Thank you for being patient with me while I try to learn how to do things at a much slower pace than other kids my age. Thank you for taking care of mommy when she struggles to find strength. Thank you for being brave enough to share your feelings of uncertainty, anger, and fear with others and not holding it inside where it could grow into resentment toward me. Thank you for taking such good care of my sister and showing her what unconditional love means, so that she will be a good teacher for me. Thank you for taking care of daily tasks around the house without being asked. (Okay, Mama told me to write that one.) Thank you for loving me even though I'm not exactly what you'd hoped I'd be. Thank you for not giving up hope that one day I can be the son you prayed and hoped for. Thank you for being an example of what it takes to be a real man. 





It's because of these things, because of you, Daddy, that I will achieve great things and become someone you will always be proud to call yours.

Happy Father's Day. I love you.

Love,
You Special (Needs) Child


*If you know Lance, you'll know the song in the slideshow has a special meaning to him. It is also a perfect description of his attitude toward fatherhood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment